I have been injured in a motor vehicle accident and I cannot work. How can I claim for lost wages?

We understand that your bills don’t stop just because you have been in an accident as a result of someone else’s negligence. Ultimately, the party responsible for your accident may have to pay your net wages through their insurance coverage for your claim. We want you to know that you have options if you have lost wages due to a motor vehicle accident.

Your own private disability insurance

If you have disability or sickness benefits through your employer, you may be obliged to pursue those benefits first, before seeking recovery of any wage losses from the party who caused for the accident. You should contact your benefits provider immediately to see what is available to you.

Your own auto insurance policy

Your automobile insurance policy in Alberta has no-fault benefits which will pay lost wages up to $400 per week in limited circumstances.

  • You must be entirely unable to work.
  • You must be off for more than 1 week before you can apply.
  • You will need to obtain the forms from your insurer and provide them to your health-care provider for completion.

Insurance Act advances

The other driver’s insurance company can be required to pay advances for significant wage loss pursuant to Section 581 of the Insurance Act in some cases. A court application is often required.  You should consult with a lawyer to see whether this is appropriate on your claim.

Wages recovered when your case goes to trial or settles

Any court awards for wages on car accidents in Alberta are usually made on a “net of tax” basis. The amounts you receive will be reduced for payments made earlier by an insurance company.

Call our office at 780-489-5003 or contact us online today to schedule an initial consultation.

photo of a young woman recovering from an injury in a motor vehicle accident with the assistance of Edmonton Personal Injury Law firm KBL Law