I was injured in a motor vehicle accident and cannot work. How can I claim lost wages?

We understand that your bills don’t stop just because you have been in an accident due to someone else’s negligence. Ultimately, the party responsible for your accident may have to pay your net wages through their insurance coverage for your claim. We want you to know that you have options if you have lost wages due to a motor vehicle accident.

Your private disability insurance

Suppose you have disability or sickness benefits through your employer. In that case, you may be obliged to pursue those benefits first before seeking recovery of any wage losses from the party who caused the accident. You should contact your benefits provider immediately to see what is available.

Your auto insurance policy

Your automobile insurance policy in Alberta has no-fault benefits, which will pay lost wages up to $400 per week in limited circumstances.

  • It would be best if you were entirely unable to work.
  • You must be off for more than one week before you can apply.
  • You will need to obtain the forms from your insurer and provide them to your healthcare provider for completion.

Insurance Act advances

The other driver’s insurance company can be required to pay advances for significant wage loss pursuant to Section 581 of the Insurance Act in some cases. A court application is often required. You should consult a lawyer to see whether this is appropriate for your claim.

Wages recovered when your case goes to trial or settles

Any court awards for wages on car accidents in Alberta are usually made on a “net of tax” basis. The amounts you receive will be reduced for earlier payments by an insurance company.

Call our office at 780-489-5003 or contact us online today to schedule an initial consultation.

Scroll to Top